Kiaušaitė for "Šeimininkė" (*)
.
Exhibition of the "Pencil Vs Camera"
series at The Coach in Belgium
.
Well, I guess everything begins somewhere. When and how did you find photography and drawing so close to you? Were there any influences on you?

My mother is a dancer, my father an engineer and also a poet. These 2 persons were my initial inspiration and introduction to the artistic world. I chose traditional drawing and painting first and then focused on photography and digital art (see my portfolio). Some great and passionate teachers have also influenced me in a great way when I was a kid.
.
If you had to introduce yourself by telling just one story, what would it be?

Here is a pitch: A random and creative guy trying to survive somewhere in the universe and willing to share his thoughts with others.
.
One of your projects is called “Pencil vs camera”. How was it born and what’s the main idea of it? Does photography and drawing always have to compete to one another in your life? Do you believe that technique means something about how good or bad a creation is?

The main idea behind Pencil Vs Camera was to oppose imagination and reality. There could have been several artistic forms to express this concept but I chose the 2 disciplines I like the most. Pencil Vs Camera was born almost by coincidence as I was doing something else. But it is also the result of several years of graphic research.
.
Are you a keen newspaper reader? Or the Internet satisfies your needs completely? What about all the fighting between classic media and the new, digital media? It's a very resounding question these days - digital vs. film, pencil vs. photoshop, newspapers and magazines vs. blogs and etc. Who's the winner here? :)

Yes, I love reading the news in general to be aware of what’s happening everywhere in the world. I’ve been formed to do this during my degree in Journalism. I used to read in the paper but I must admit that the Internet is becoming more and more my primary source of information. I think there won’t be any winner or loser in the current conflict between historic newspapers and new sources of information such as blogs or online news sites, etc. They should work together to achieve the most powerful communication and information system ever. And this is where we’re going slowly. It’s true, I find it more comfortable to read stuff on a physical paper that I can hold in my hands, but I’m afraid all the paper supports will disappear one day not only because of the tough concurrence with digital information but also because of ecological reasons.
.
You seem to be a very creative person, always searching for something new. Is there such thing as routine in your life? What are the things that inspire you and let you down?

I know it’s easy to say, but everything inspires and influences me. Routine is something I dislike but we all have to accept it from time to time.
.
Your photographs combined with drawings sometimes look like original and provoking ads. Is advertising on your 'map'? Maybe you have some experience working in an agency or something?

Looking like ads? Really? Haha, I promise that I wasn’t paid by any brand or company to produce my PvsC images. I’ve done all of them only for myself. Because I find it useful to express a wide range of things and because I believe it can easily become a new form of individual expression. These visual compositions convey lots of personal messages but I have tried to also focus on issues that concern us all.
.
Most of your work in “Pencil vs camera” project are cheerful or at least ironic. How do you see the world, what are your beliefs?

I’m rather an optimistic person. But I’m very realistic too. I’m often thinking about the end of life as we know it and about the phenomenal contrasts inherent to our human condition. I really hope human beings will change the way they live or we’ll definitely pay for all our mistakes and abuses. Irony and humor are good tools to evoke dramatic subjects.
.
It seems some of your work contains content which varies from politics, culture, and even globally important questions like littering, global warming and so on. Are these things important to you?

Yes, as mentioned above, I really care about our future and environmental topics such as pollution of our planet are subjects that I like to refer on in my artistic work. I used to be a political cartoonist so I always have an opinion that I like to defend. I guess this is also the influence of my previous studies in Journalism. We all have a voice and an impact, those who can afford to speak freely should realize this is a huge chance. I believe it’s better to say anything that makes sense than nothing at all.
.
Your biography tells you're from Ivory Coast. You live and work in Europe today. Has European culture and/or art made any significant influence to your African nature and character?

I just feel like a citizen of the world but yes, I was born in Ivory Coast, somehow by accident and lived there 7 years. And I’m now based in Brussels. I also lived in the UK and in Holland during my studies. So I’ve never belonged to any country, I’m neither a patriot nor a nationalist, I find beauty in every human being not in ideologies. In all honesty, I find Europeans more overconfident than any other people. This is part of our culture, but we should remember we’re all from the same species under the same rules. We don’t have control of everything.
.
When you’re drawing or shooting, how does it feel to you? Is it an open improvisation, or do you know exactly what do you want to achieve?

Creating is the activity that gives me the biggest satisfaction, it has changed the way I live and see things around me. There is sometimes a lot of improvisation in my artistic work. I never know where I’m exactly going when I develop a new concept but I always work hard to get the results I want, but as soon as I spend too long on a series, I usually get bored very quickly and want to start something else.
.
What does the word “art” mean to you? Does it have any difference to creativity?

I think “creative” art generates more interest in the public than “non creative” art but it doesn’t always need to be creative to be considered “art”. Anything can be called art in our modern society a long as there is a human being or at least an intellect behind it able to generate thoughts and hopefully emotions.
.
What’s the smallest thing that means the most to you?

Waking up with the person I love is something that means a lot to me. It gives me strength and courage.
.
Could you please just write your first thoughts related to these words:

Morning: Adventure, challenge, caffeine

Elegance: Birds, dancers, freedom

Nonsense: Weapons, wars, injustice

Beauty: Women/Men, Nature, Love

Cheek: Innocence, cuteness, kisses
.
What is living? How does it feel to live?

Interesting and profound question. A synonym of “living” for me is “breathing”. I really long for fresh places full of oxygen. As long as I’ll be breathing, I’ll be living, hopefully as a free person. And it feels good to live.

--------------

(*) "Šeimininkė" is a major weekly magazine based in Lithuania. The interview will also be available in Lithuanian.
.
Exhibition of the "Pencil Vs Camera"
series at The Coach in Belgium